Thursday, February 16, 2006

Koko Lesson 2: Behold the Lord High Executioner

Another infamous Koko is the Lord High Executioner of Titipu who lives in a highly fictionalized Japan created by Gilbert & Sullivan in their musical comedy The Mikado.

My impetus for selecting today's lesson is, of course, in no way related to my embarrassing babuskha moment from yesterday. Whyever would I suddenly find myself drawn to such a macabre career choice? Never mind. On to the lesson.

Actually, I do not much care for musicals, so this will be a short lesson. I read a plot summary of The Mikado, and I can't say I have a high regard for this particular Koko or an inclination to see the musical. It starts off, more or less, with Koko being condemned to death for flirting (yes, flirting!) but then at the last moment he is given a reprieve and instead promoted to the role of Lord High Executioner. Okay so far, I will suspend my disbelief at this (un)lucky turn of fate. But what follows is the beginning of the end as far as I am concerned: as all criminals must be executed in order, and Koko is the next criminal, then logically he must cut off his own head. Oh, come on! Many shenanigans and crazy capers follow. I didn't -- follow, that is. I must now go poke my eyes with a sharp stick or watch some high-brow show, like Trailer Park Boys or Dario Argento's Suspiria. Anything but The Mikado.


I am so ashamed that my name is shared with such an inane character. I am now seriously considering reverting back to my formal name "EW37" which is tattooed on the inside of my right ear. That's what Mrs. Peeps calls me that when she thinks I am getting into something I shouldn't. I had previously thought "EW37" a very inelegant name for myself, but at this moment, it seems quite attractive compared to "Koko"...

Sighing, and signing off,
EW37


No comments: