Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Baked & Broiled

I just realized that despite my best intentions, I have not blogged much this year. And I meant too. I really, really did. Truly. For those of you who actually know me, you know I don't usually have a life the first three weeks of classes. But this year, it's not just that, although that is a plenty good excuse. This semester I actually have had a life and so it's probably more that constant pull of blogging about my life or living it.

Baked & Broiled

In the meantime, I thought the blog could do with a new photo of the fur boss. This was taken one beautiful, frigid sunny day earlier this month. This is one of Koko's favourite daytime napping locations - draped on the living room heater. She can't usually stay too long, since she ends up getting baked by the sun and broiled by the heater at the same time! I love picking her up when she is "just done": warm, dopey, boneless, docile and extremely non-bitey.

Speaking of baking, I also made this vegan cookie christmas tree for my vegan friend. I used a new recipe for both the cookie and for the icing, and wasn't terribly impressed with either. The larger cookies didn't bake properly and disintegrated under the weight of the upper part of the tree, and the icing was exceptionally hard to work with - clumping, running, overflowing, taking forever to dry and then drying all wrinkly. Dangnabbit. My friend assures me that it was as tasty as it was beautiful, which clearly was a very kind way of saying "thank you, thank you so much. Now move along and leave the baking to me since I made fabulous things, and you -- not so much." Hopefully the thought does count!

Vegan Cookie Tree

4 comments:

DenisCollis03 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical.........................................

Julie said...

the cookie tree looks amazing!! I find it hard to find really great vegan recipes that don't call for what I consider to be expensive ingredients. oh well. the hunt continues. Your kitty looks so happy on that window sill and heater!! ah, cats- they are the best.

Nana Sadie said...

KOKO's a biter? Oh my! I'd not have guessed...
Pretty little thing there all drapey - they are heat seekers, aren't they?
Love the cookie tree!

The Blonde One said...

Why am I only finding out about this tree now? Looks yum!